Saturday, April 02, 2005

Colcannon

For those who love the humble potato......


6 large all purpose potatoes
1/2 head of kale, chopped small
1 1/2 cups milk
5 scallions, minced
1 teaspoon thyme
1/2 tablespoon parsley
9 tablespoons butter, divided

Peel, boil, and mash potatoes. Boil the kale until tender. Over low heat, heat the milk with parsley, thyme, and scallions. Strain the kale, add to milk mixture, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add mashed potatoes and 5 tablespoons of butter. Place into a warmed serving dish and place remaining pats of butter on the center.

2 comments:

Eagle said...

I'm a 1986 graduate of Manhattan now living in Ireland.

Colcannon is not my favorite, I have to admit. My mother-in-law makes it every year. It's traditional around Halloween (Celtic New Year).

Claire McMahon said...

MaryAnn-

Are you really eating this crap? I'm afraid this stuff reminds me of bad food memories from my terrible irish childhood, as the famous Frank McCourt would say...
hahahha
love,
claire